How We Grant Wishes
We grant small wishes to seniors in long-term care. It's that simple.
Three Wishes youth works closely with essential health care staff to find out what nursing home residents need/what makes them happy, and we make it happen. The Covid-19 pandemic caused the greatest period of social isolation in the history of nursing homes in our country. Never before had we seen such loneliness and isolation. Although those days are behind us, visitors are still not lining up at the door to come see their loved ones. We continue to see loneliness and a lack of access to the outside world. Well over 90% of our nursing home residents have less than one visitor per month. They need us now more than ever and we would love to help you find ways to make a difference in your own community.
We can help you host a wish drive in your community. You can also drop off commonly needed items like velcro shoes of all sizes, house shoes, best-selling novels, sweat pants and tops and diabetic socks.
It's the little things that bring joy. We are constantly asked for small items like a fluffy blanket, new shoes, haircuts. cat food, comfortable pillows, new clothes, peanut butter, strawberries, books.... We find ways to do bigger things, too like TVs, older model iPads and complete room remodels. We visit, listen and respond to their needs. We make their life sweet again.
We are changing lives and we want to teach others to do this across the globe. Like Ruby says, "Kindness is my hobby" and it can be yours, too.
What else do we do?
- Come visit our Three Wishes Community Center! Our center has beautiful murals and art. You can fulfill a wish from our "Window of Wishes" or visit our Elvis, the friendliest in Arkansas and take a tour. Our center teaches lost vintage skills and hosts free birthday parties for children and is staffed by senior volunteers
- Let us help you host a pop-up Three Wishes club in your own community
- If you ever travel to the Ozarks of Arkansas, please stop by 102 W Stephenson to "Mark My Heart". We have a canvas heart of visitor's fingerprints. It's stunning, colorful and we add the ages of everyone who participates! The last one Ruby made was over 12,000 years old!
- Senior Pen Pal Project
- The Three Wishes Project for schools, youth groups and churches
- National Postcards of Kindness
- National Wish Project for nursing home residents
- Pet food pantry for seniors
- Three Wishes for Whiskers- a way to place senior cats in nursing homes!
- Mobile Library Cart
- We donate kindles, phones and ipads to nursing homes to increase socialization and meaningful connections
- Speaking events- our Kid Board speaks to geriatric leaders and youth across the US